How Long Do Golf Cart Batteries Last?
How Long Do Golf Cart Batteries Last?
At Bolt Energy USA, we often get asked the question, “How Long Do Golf Batteries Last?” Well, the answer depends on the type of golf cart battery you are using and how well you take care of your battery. If you are using a lead-acid golf cart battery in your golf cart, its lifespan differs greatly from a lithium-ion golf cart battery. Not sure if it’s time to replace your golf cart battery? There are some signs to look out for that indicate that it is time for a golf cart battery replacement. Keep reading to learn more about how these batteries are different from each other, how long they last, and signs that it’s time to consider golf cart battery replacement.
Lead-acid batteries have been a reliable choice for powering golf carts for decades. Lead-acid golf cart batteries are known for their ability to withstand rough terrain and inclement weather. Their durability is essential in a golf course environment. Lead-acid batteries are also more affordable than other types of batteries, which is beneficial for those that require multiple batteries at once. Typically, lead-acid batteries have a lifespan of about 3 to 5 years under normal operating conditions. Proper regular maintenance can help extend their lifespan. Regular maintenance includes keeping the electrolyte levels in check, charging them properly, and cleaning the terminals.
Lithium LiFePO4 Batteries
Lithium batteries have become a popular choice among golf cart owners. Lithium batteries are renowned for their energy density and high voltage. Lithium batteries are lightweight, charge rapidly, and have low self-discharge rates. Lithium golf cart batteries typically have a longer lifespan compared to traditional lead-acid batteries. While the exact lifespan can vary depending on factors such as usage, maintenance, and the quality of the battery, lithium golf cart batteries can often last between 5 to 10 years or even more with proper care and usage. They are designed to provide a longer service life and better performance, making them a popular choice for golf carts and other electric vehicles.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Golf Cart Battery
To ensure that your golf cart runs smoothly, reliable batteries are vital. Like any other power source, golf cart batteries have a limited lifespan and knowing when it’s time to replace is important to know for any golf cart owner. Here are some key signs that indicate that it’s time to replace your golf cart battery.
1. Your Battery is Quickly Losing PowerOne of the clearest signs of a failing golf cart battery is one that quickly loses power. Damaged or degraded batteries can’t provide as much power as newer ones. The result of not replacing your battery is less driving time between charges. This problem will worsen until you replace it.
2. Your Battery is Charging SlowIf your golf cart used to be fully charged within a couple of hours, but now needs 12 hours or more to fully charge, a failing battery may be the culprit. A replacement is needed.
3. Your Cart’s Acceleration Has DecreasedHave you noticed your golf cart is acting sluggishly? Batteries that are heading toward the end of their lifespan can’t provide the energy that is needed to power your golf cart at its full potential. Just like decreasing length of charge, acceleration issues also will worsen over time until you replace.
4. Battery DamageBattery damage such as bulging, corrosion, and leakage are clear indicators of battery problems, especially in lead-acid batteries. Bulging can be a result of internal short circuits. Corrosion around the battery terminals can hinder the electrical connections. Leaks can be harmful to the battery and the environment.
5. Battery AgeWhether you have lead-acid batteries or lithium batteries, they do have a limited lifespan. Remember, lead-acid batteries have a lifespan of 3-5 years while lithium batteries tend to last longer, around 5-10 years. If your battery is approaching or has exceeded its lifespan, it’s time to consider battery replacement.
Upgrade Your Battery with Bolt Energy USA
Recognizing the signs that indicate your golf cart battery needs replacement is crucial for maintaining the performance and safety of your golf cart. When you notice any of these signs, it’s good practice to have your battery tested by a professional at Bolt Energy USA or replaced to ensure your golf cart continues to provide reliable and enjoyable transportation. When it’s time to replace your golf cart battery, consider upgrading to a high output lithium battery manufactured by Bolt Energy USA. While lithium batteries are more expensive than lead-acid batteries, the benefits outweigh the cost. Since lithium batteries have a lifespan twice as long as lead-acid batteries and are more energy efficient, the investment is well worth it.
Bolt Energy USA is a top nationwide manufacturer of lithium LiFePO4 golf cart batteries. Our lithium batteries are compatible with all top golf cart brands including, Advanced EV, Bad Boy Buggy, Bintelli, Club Car DS, Club Car Precedent, Coleman, EZGO TXT, EZGO RXV, Elite, Evolution, EPIC, GEM Cars, ICON, Kandi, Madjax X-series, Navitas Storm, Nivel X-series, Titan, Tomberlin, Trojan EV, Vivid, and Yamaha.